Sunday, October 21, 2012

12

Friday was the day Ethan was born - he is now 12 years old!  Someday I may really post about the feelings we had all those years ago, but suffice it to say I can't believe twelve years have passed.  In some ways it is too short and in some ways it has been a very long twelve years.  Twelve years and we are still struggling with the same issues - hearing, speech, fine and gross motor.  He is making some improvements, but they are small steps.

Ethan uses writing a lot more to communicate.  It is not unusual for him to have a piece of paper, pencil and an envelope.  His aide is the recipient of many of his letters, but he also likes to make a list of things he would like to eat if he is lucky enough to go to Taco Bell.  Last Saturday, after working for about 90 minutes at the Bike Shop (he had to sort all of the hangers and put the size tags back in the storage box, then hang up the hangers) - I took him to Taco Bell and I let him order himself.  He loved it.

Even though he is 12, he still has the imagination of a toddler.  And I think he will always, always believe in Santa (which is not a bad thing :-)


Tonight he had a headache and he put ice into a baggie, then into another baggie, so he must have been given an icepack at school one day because I don't put icepacks together.  He even wrapped it in a towel.  The nurse at school must make a big impression on him :-)


He has also moved up a level at Church.  He will be spending more time with his big brother at Church in the Young Men's program and Youth Sunday School.  Grandma and his Aunt gave him a sturdy bag for his new scriptures and it is big enough for his snack and water bottle (priorities, you know). 


He is riding the bus from the middle school to the elementary school where I work (it is about a 5 minute direct drive) - and he is at the point now where I don't have to meet him outside, he can walk inside and find me by himself.  Baby steps to (relative) independence.

We are lucky to have him in our family.  I can't imagine our life without him.



 Happy Birthday, Ethan!!

No comments: