Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Aging Isn't for Wimps

Nearly four months....that's a long time not to check in, but I haven't been well.

It all started exactly two days after I turned


One day I am exercising, lifting weights, eating healthy, on.the.move

And the next.....

I thought it would pass.

It didn't.

I went to the doctor, who put me on steroids.  Didn't help.

Had an MRI.  And more steroids.

Saw a neurosurgeon.  Didn't help.  In fact, he said it was "nothing."  Do some PT.  Here, take these meds, and these meds, and these meds.

It. Was. Awful.

I was in so much pain I had a hard time at work.  Pain in the neck, down through my shoulder blade all the way down my arm.  The meds made me so sick I had a hard time getting off the couch.  Couldn't eat.  Couldn't teach.  Couldn't walk in the kitchen.  Couldn't sleep.  Couldn't think.  Couldn't function.

All I did was cry, and cry, and cry.  I was a mess and I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.

My "doctor" said I could get cervical epidural steroid shots.  I got two shots, two weeks apart.  With not much relief.

Desperate to have a physician who was competent I found another spine doctor.  He said my shots had been given in the WRONG place.  I only had one shot left.  I got it last Thursday.  I don't know if I'm totally better, but I am off my meds and I walked the last two days and did yoga.  Now I just have to get my strength back.

Things I have learned:

If you question the doctor and he blows you off, find another one.
Chronic pain is the pitts.
Pain meds and I are not friends.
My chiropractor and massage therapists are worth every cent I pay them.
Lifting weights doesn't help if your form is poor.
I am so grateful when I'm healthy!
Growing old is not for the faint of heart.

Hopefully, since it is spring break, I will be able to update a little on what else has been going on at the Casa McGrath.   Now that I'm functioning....somewhat.

No comments: