
The cocks weren't even crowin' when the menfolk got them thur selves outta bed ta head on out ta the Bayou. They loaded up thur canoes and headed on down da road. Me and the young'un set about cleanin' and a scrubbin' ta make da house look durn purty for da Sabbath.

We made ourselves some lip-smackin' oatmeal bread and lots'a c-runchy granola that ain't got a whole barrelful of sugar - that sugar like-a soona rot yor insides out, if ya know what I'ma tellin' ya'll.
Then me an the young'un headed on down ta da country store for some slaughtered chickens. We done bought ourselves 21 lbs an rushed on home ta set ta cannin'.


While we was a waitin' for the chicken to be done we set about plantin' some purty yella flowers in the front yard. Common sense done told me not to do it, but doggone, I just couldn't help maself. Then feelin' purty good, I done went and washed the windows just the same. It shore was a purty day.

The men folk done come back with some hunkin' fish for suppa. Yum, Yum.

It shore was a good day. Now me an ma honey are gonna head on out for a night on da town - Walmart!! Yaaaahoo.
7 comments:
I really miss you guys! That is so funny. I love the last picture! Good job on all the canning :)
You are just having too much fun with this blog, Susie/Ma Clampett! And you accomplished an amazing amount of work in one day young lady! Guess what? Our date last night involved Lowes, mexican food, and....WALMART!!! Too funny :-)
Ha! Walmart must be the date of choice :-) The chicken looked great when it came out - thanks for the instructions. It was SO easy to do. Hopefully none of it will kill us when we eat it. It looks like all of the jars sealed, so lets hope it will be okay to eat. I will be a little nervous the first time. I will be interested to see how long that 21 lbs will last. Should last a while....at least until the next chicken sale, I hope!
I know, it IS so easy! You will love using it...it is so tender and delicious...and you know where it came from! Have you done London Broil yet? We use that all the time for green chili burros, tacos, etc. When I want to use it I just put it in a saucepan with green chiles or el pato (or a combination of the two) and warm it up...it makes great mexican meat. It goes on sale here for under $2 and it is very lean and easy to use. I don't cube it up...just put the long pieces in however it fits best. It shreds when you take it out. It makes for a very easy, yummy dinner!
Hm, our london broil was on sale this week, but for $3.29. I have no idea what it costs originally. I will keep my eye out for it to go on a better sale and then give it a try. We put all of the jars on the shelves last night - I feel so productive! If it doesn't kill us when I open it (will I know if it is okay to eat???) then we will enjoy it for a while. I get 19 pints in a batch, so it should last a little while.
You will be able to tell if the lid is sealed...it indents down in the middle and all. If it is sealed, it will be fine! Did you store them with rings on? They recommend not to do that, because meat juices and bacteria can be trapped there. If so, take the rings off and wipe around the top edge with a warm cloth. It is no different than buying canned chicken at Costco...except you are using a hygenic *glass* jar, not a metal can, and so it will last much longer than the canned chicken!
Thanks for the tip - I will need to take off the rings and wipe them down.
Post a Comment