Friday, August 27, 2010

My Secret Addition

You all know of my addiction to Breyer's ice cream and children's books - I mean, that is just common knowledge.

Now is the time for me to admit to a secret addiction. One that plagues me each year around this time. One that is so unreasonable and over the top that I hesitate to admit it.

However, acceptance is the first step to recovery.

I am a school supply-a-holic.

Yes, I am addicted to school supplies.

The bursting aisles at Walmart this time of year sends my heart a-racin'.

Who wouldn't want a box of crayons for 25 cents? Who wouldn't want notebooks for a nickel?

In the past, when all of the children were at home and going to school, it was easy to hide my addiction. I had five kids in school. Of course I would need a mountain of supplies.

However, to date, I still have supplies purchased when Megan was in 6th grade.

There, I admit it. A plastic shoebox full of glue sticks brings me comfort.

A case of marker boxes makes me feel prepared.

Prepared for what, you ask? Well, it is not important to answer that question just right now........

I will say I have exercised restraint this year. Jordan got a few notebooks and some pencils and pens. Any other needed supplies are in drawers stocked from previous years. I still have plenty.

This will pass. The low prices will soon dissipate and I can begin to breath easy as I walk through the paper and pen aisle. I just have to hang on until then.............

Is there a support group for this?

5 comments:

Kathy said...

For real??? This is me to a T. Love it!

Sarah Harward said...

ME TOO!! I was just at walmart last night and had to FORCE myself away from the crayons (since I've already bought about 15 boxes in the past couple weeks). I did have a moment of weakness and buy some scissors (3 pairs) and colored pencils. It's truly irresistable, and I'm very glad to know that I (and my mother, who I obviously got it from) am not the only one who suffers from this!

Susie said...

Aha! I knew I wasn't alone!! I feel better already - now, where did I put that bowl of Breyers....?

Sherri said...

Oh, please, some of us have been hiding that addiction for more years than I'd care to count!!! My boss and I share this problem, so you should see the two of us in Office Max getting things for our office!!!! One day we made TWO trips because we had seen some new, cool post-its and we talked ourselves out of them on the first trip....and then we couldn't stand it and went back. Yes, she and I are crazy and it's embarrassing.

Susie said...

Well, Sherri, that really just tells me that I have extremely strange family and friends. Birds of a feather.......