Monday, April 9, 2012

Good People

On Sunday evenings while I am organizing my week I tune into the BYU channel on the internet. I know it is available on cable, but since I don't have cable I get it on the internet. There are a couple of shows that just touch my heart.


One is "Turning Point" - it is fascinating. It highlights ordinary people from all walks of life and the extraordinary things they do. The show description says "Turning Point is a collection of inspiring stories about people whose lives have changed irrevocably due to one pivotal decision." I have seen so many of them (and they are all excellent - there are so many good people in the world doing good things for others, it is very inspiring):

Colin and Karen Archipley created the Veterans Sustainability Agriculture Training program to offer newly returned veterans an intensive 6-week course in farming skills.


Wynona Ward travels around rural areas in a mobile truck/office to offer domestic abuse victims a chance for a better life.


World-champion kayaker Brad Ludden takes groups of young adults suffering from cancer on week-long adventure camps; Linda Myers provides support for elderly Native Americans living traditional lifestyles on reservations.

Learn about Homeboy Industries--an organization that assists formerly gang-involved youth become positive and contributing members of society through job placement, training, and education.

Then last night Jordan wanted to watch The 5000 Day Project: Two Brothers.

This is the show description:

Meet Luke and Sam Nelson, two brothers who struggled to develop a positive relationship in childhood. The Nelson boys are just two of 60 kids documented over a 5,000-day period by filmmaker Rick Stevenson.

Oh my, I cried. It was a moving documentary. Seeing their spiritual and physical growth was moving. I can't even imagine editing film to make a 90 minute movie out of 10 years worth of material. But I digress........it was excellent. It was uplifting and inspiring and truly a wonderful way to spend the evening with my boys.

So, in short, I see a lot of bad things during the week. And that just isn't when I read the news. A lot of my students live in terrible circumstances. But then I uplifted when I see that there truly are a lot of wonderful, good, kind, and charitable people in this world. There really are. One of BYU tv's slogans is "See the Good" and I am trying, because there is still a lot of good to be found.

No comments: