Sunday, August 28, 2016

First Days of Kinder

This was supposed to be published on Tuesday - in fact, I thought it had been.  Just bear with me and roll with it....a little bit of pity wouldn't hurt either.........

Today was .... wait for it....Day 4 of kindergarten.  I am in an inner city school and I'm sorry to say it isn't just a whole ton of fun being a kindergartener.  We have to work, work, work.  So, yeah, I bring out the playdough, and songs, and we dance a bit here and there - just because....we are only FIVE YEARS OLD.

I will say that I underestimated the challenge of only having 4 out of 15 students who speak English.

Yes, that's right.  ELEVEN of my children don't speak English.

Makes for an interesting day.  One student who just came into the country - day four - is talking up a storm.  Unfortunately it is when I'm talking, down the hall, and every other opportune and inopportune time there is.  And, while some of the words are in English the rest are not.  All of my Spanish speakers are from Guatemala.  I love 'em.  I am enjoying work everyday even though I only have a 20 minute lunch and no other free time during the day.  Our "planning" time is taken up with other meetings.  Boy, was I spoiled in Searcy.

Other than that - all is well.  I'm a little overwhelmed at how far we have to go to be on grade level by the end of the year but, after all, it IS only Day 4.


No comments: