Monday, October 19, 2009

Happy Birthday, Ethan!

Nine years ago today our lives changed forever! Little Ethan was born in Burlington, Iowa and was soon transported to Iowa Children's Hospital. His lungs were very wet when he was born. His diagnosis came as a huge surprise to us. It was a very emotional week for all of us, but I can say that the journey it has taken us on has enlarged our hearts and minds to the will of God. I can't imagine him being any other than he is. It has also opened my eyes to the world of the disabled. I admire all of the many, many people in the world who raise children with disabilities and who live with disabilities themselves. They are a special group of people and I am so happy to be able to learn from them.

I wish I had pictures of Ethan when he was born, but it was truly a hectic and crazy and emotional week. I left the hospital with gray hair and I don't think I started feeling "normal" again until he was about a year old :-) His whole first year is a blur of therapies and learning about Down syndrome.

These following three ladies were the most important people in his life outside his immediate family the first three years of his life. He saw them nearly every day for three years! His speech therapist, his occupational therapist, and his physical therapist. Those ladies were an answer to prayers - they were so supportive and knowledgeable, I am thankful for them still every day.
As a typical toddler:
Ethan has been a puzzle, a challenge, and pure delight - just like all of our other children! :-)

But Ethan is definitely a daddy's boy!

Ethan had to have open heart surgery when he was 15 months old. He pulled through like a trooper! Another emotional roller coaster, but I think (hope) those days are long behind us. Look in the second picture at his swollen hand - the result of an incompetent nurse!!


As you are well aware and has been thoroughly documented, Ethan loves to pretend.

The first five years of his life we prayed that he would have the ability to speak. We were faithful in those prayers and wondered each day how the Lord would answer them. Then when he turned 5 a light bulb went off and we found that He had already answered our prayers. He has given Ethan the gift of signing to communicate, and while we still pray that he will someday be able to speak verbally and be understood, we find that he is able to communicate his silly, whimsical way through sign. We are very grateful that our prayers have been answered.

Ethan is blessed with four wonderful older siblings. When Megan moved out of the house he would always go and talk to her picture on the wall. Now he does the same thing with Bryan. This is a picture of them at Megan's wedding.And waiting outside the temple at another wedding in Utah.

He is a great kid, full of wonder and excitement. His smile lights up our life!

Each year brings new challenges as we try to make sure Ethan will be able to live life to the fullest. But he is a blessing in our lives and wouldn't trade him for anything! We are so lucky to have him.

Happy Birthday!!

4 comments:

Sam said...

Those are some of cutest pictures! hsppy birthdau, Ethan. We love you and wouldn't have you any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly Strange said...

As one of the lucky therapists that is blessed to be a part of your lives from Ethan's beginning, I thank you for continuing to share this beautiful little fellow and his life adventures with all of us! I miss you all very much. Happy Belated Birthday Ethan!!!!

Susie said...

Well, Holly, I don't know what we would of done without you. Ethan was extremely lucky to have you for as long as he did. Although, as you well know, we still miss you like crazy!

mary jane said...

Happy Birthday ETHAN!!! I love all of the pictures and how you captured his story. What an amazing child! We love you Ethan!!!