Monday, November 16, 2009

Intruder

On Halloween night, after the party goers had gone home and we were all tucked snug and warm in our beds, I was awakened by a loud walking noise. It sounded like someone was upstairs. But it was 1 am and everyone had gone home long ago.

I nudged Phil awake (none too gently, I confess) and told him someone was upstairs. I worried about Jordan, he sleeps upstairs alone. But our house alarm had not gone off, so how did someone get in the house?

Phil went upstairs, but didn't see anything. I continued to hear the noise, someone was making a terrible racket. Were they in the attic? There are two ways to get into our attic.

Phil went outside and looked all around the house. I stayed inside, brave and warm, although I did think he was gone just a bit too long on the south side of the house, where I couldn't see him.

He didn't find anything and the noise stopped. We went back to sleep.

The next night I was awakened by pounding right over my head. It sounded like someone was banging the vent pipes. I woke Phil up again and he got the boys up (Jordan had wisely decided to sleep in Ethan's room :0) The boys went up into the attic and there they saw the culprit!A big one. He ran off. The boys couldn't chase him. The next day we set a trap for him. How did a big, fat raccoon get in our attic? No idea whatsoever. But we never did catch him. Somehow he escaped, presumably the same way he came in.

He scared me enough for a while, I can tell ya that. What a scary Halloween surprise.

2 comments:

mary jane said...

Crazy little bandit! That would have freaked me out to hear that in the middle of the night!

Susie said...

It did freak me out. The second night he sounded so big I thought he would crash the ceiling in. Honestly, I don't know how he got up there, there is only one tiny tree branch anywhere close to the rooftop. That is the only way he could of gotten in, I think.....