Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I was doing a guided reading group today and one of the little girls in the group is the cutest, littlest thing you ever would see. She is just a super sweetie and talks in a very soft voice. She started school never even having held a crayon! She didn't understand the concept of counting or how to look at a book. She has come a long way.

I was getting ready for group and the four children are reading silently to themselves.

Girl: "Mrs. McGrath, I have glasses that I wear at home and they help me to see better."

Me: "You do? I didn't know that" (this poor girl needs glasses?? why doesn't her mother send them to school. Maybe she doesn't want them broken.)

Me: "Do you keep them at home?"

Girl: "I have them in my backpack."

Me: "Well, why don't you get them so you can read with us. I want you to be able to see well."

Girl: "Okay"

As she leaves to get her glasses I turn and help a little boy to my left. A few minutes later I turn back around to see how she is progressing in her book. She is reading very diligently wearing these:



It is almost all I can do not to bust out laughing.

Bless her heart.

I had her keep them on until reading group was over. Then I told her to keep them safe and put them back in her backpack.

I couldn't tell the story to Phil, I was laughing so hard.

It will be something I never forget. I am still laughing about it.