Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dreamer


I woke at 3:30 a.m. this morning and just couldn't go back to sleep. I pulled out of my suitcase a new book I brought to read on the plane but never got to.

First of all, let me say I have loved everything Pam Muzon Ryan has written. Second, Peter Sis' "The Wall" is excellent and my first introduction to his work.

This book is the historical fictional account of the childhood of the Chilean poet Pablo Neruda. It was excellent. The writing itself is poetical and insightful. I couldn't put it down, I read until the sun came up. Ryan has a way with language and Sis' illustrations were perfect for the prose.

I knew absolutely nothing about Neruda before I read the book, but I really want to read his works now. There is so much to talk about in this book I think middle school readers would gain so much from it. It is a book that needs to be talked about with another readers, though, so grab a friend to read it at the same time.

Megan's computer is giving me problems, so I will put the book in the carousel when I return to Arkansas.

No comments: