But I digress....
They aren't laying! Phil was ready to put them into the stew pot. We searched the yard for secret nests, but alas, no eggs.
Until last night - when we made a deep search of the yard. I was absolutely incredulous that NO EGGS were being laid! Especially after a week of gorgeous, cool weather. No excuses, girls!!
And behold ...... GOLD!

I know the eggs look yucky, but it is stains from the wet leaves. We put them all in a deep bowl of water (per my sister's instructions) - ones that float are rotten - toss them. Those that sink are good - keep them.
Well, they all sank. After saving my last egg for the a couple of weeks I am finally full again! I went from one egg to 37 overnight!
Two weeks ago we came home and the hens were in the front yard roosting in the bushes in the front. Apparently their partner in crime, Axle, dug a hole for them under the gate.
When the repairman came out today he found another "nest" in the front. Three more eggs were added to my collection.
Now that I have figured them out, their lives have been spared and I even went out and bought another bag of feed. They will be with us a bit longer!
And we can have eggs for breakfast - yippee!

1 comment:
Thats so funny. Glad you got your eggs!
Post a Comment