Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Logan's Weekly Letter

Bonjour everyone!

Well it's been just two months in the mtc... right? Has it been two months yet? Because it feels that way! Time really flies by quick - the days are long but the weeks are short everyone here likes to say. It's so true it's rather cliche.


I like to say time has no meaning in the mtc! I wake up at 6:10 to do some stretching with Elder Prawitt, then we do some daily studying and planning after showering and whatnot. Then we get breakfast, usually eggs and potatoes, although biscuits and gravy is a huge deal, they run out of those quick.


Then we do some personal studying, we have an hour of TALL technology assisted language learning. That's pretty helpful till you get to the automatic flashcards, then I go sleep. Quickly. We have an hour (actually only 50 minutes) of gym time. I always go play volleyball with the tongans. I've gotten pretty good! We have about 6 hours of class instruction, almost entirely in french a day. That's where we learn grammar and gospel in the same lesson.


One of our teachers, Frere Luke, was actually the one who helped develop the program and material. We met him first as an investigator "Luc". We taught him on the first Friday in only French. I testified something like this... "I read book of mormon. I know book of mormon true. You read book of mormon. Holy Ghost you know true." haha I have to learn more grammar!


We get done with our stuff around 930 and we head back to the res to get ready for bed. We are so exhausted all the time, Elder Prawitt and I. We finished teaching Luc when he moved back to Swizterland, but we're now teaching Koffi (also Frere Luke) a protestant man from the Congo actually, and Caitlyn, (our other teacher Seour Carson). They are really good at role playing, it always seems real when we teach, which is good practice. They never break character. We taught Koffi last night and he amening like crazy in my prayer. I felt I was back home in Louisiana.


Well i waaaas excited for my call as district leader, but I was relieved of duty only after a week and a half... Elder Prawitt and I will become zone leaders this Sunday, which we'll stay as until the end of our stay here. Crazy huh!? The old zone leaders are leaving next week with like 15 other people. So it will be our district and other in our zone. Then in a week we'll get 7 more newbies (can I call them that yet? I think I can..) and in September we'll get about 30!! We do the orientation for them as zone leaders and show them how to do companionship inventory which is were you work out issues you have with you're companion. I am very fortunate in Elder Prawitt. We have had no problems getting along and he's really just a great guy.


So yeah I think I'll be traveling into the Congo like this: Salt Lake, Paris, to Doula, Cameroon! I learned a congoleese handshake, and that people don't…… I'll have to write the rest in a letter I'm out of time.


Bye love you all!!


Also if you haven't sent my stuff can you throw in two ties I left and my gym shorts!?


Love you!


Elder McGrath

No comments: