Well the week hasn’t been too bad besides the pouring rain! I went with Elder Garner to another district meeting because he is the zone leader, and as we were leaving our apartment we looked up at the sky and thought “Naw we don’t need our umbrellas right now, we’ll have to pass back this way anyways after the meeting well get them then”…. Bad bad bad decision!!! It started raining before we got there. We were wet though not too badly when we got there. But it rained the entire time during the meeting. And when we left, we stepped out into a flood!!! We had to wade to the street through almost a river of garbage and junk, it was still pouring, and then no taxi would take us!! They were wanting 2500 francs for the ride! Also when it pours like that there aren’t a lot of taxis and buses period. The roads here are terrible with some parts of the road paved, some dirt, and some not there anymore at all! So no one would take us… we had to walk a very long way through the floods and rain until we got to a “roundpoint” where “buses” load. The line took us right past our apartment so we got off and changed before going out the rest of the day. We took our umbrellas with us and it hardly rained at all after that! It wasn’t the funnest, but it did change the day a little.
The way we get flour is that there are a lot of Indian ran stores here. A lot of Muslims own stores and they get everything imported here basically. It is luck sometimes, but we can find Doritos and Gatorade if the stars and planets are aligned and luck is with us. Those things are cherished. Cannot find herbs and spices really. Nor cheese… it is really really expensive, cheese. There is a lot of bread though. Baguettes are huge here. Does not always taste the best but it is bread!! And I love plantains!! Nothing better than slicing some plantains and frying them. So good!! The other missionaries say the food in Cameroon is much better tasting, much bigger and much much cheaper! They like it here but they all miss the food there! Apparently bananas are huge! Here they are really small and expensive.
It is snowing there? What is snow? What is cold? I don’t remember…. It is very hot and humid here. Actually it is much similar to a hot day in Arkansas expect it is like that year round. I don’t have too much trouble dealing with it. People here don’t like the sun at all, I think it is funny. They always sit in the shade when they can. They also hate the mud and the rain and go as much out of the way as they can to avoid it. Then come two missionaries in their prime who come stomping through the rain and mud and don’t pay attention to the sun. They shake their heads and say, moondeli “white man”…
Well today is Halloween right? I think we are having some party! With very crazy foods and papaya carving contest! It should be fun? I think we are having boa too!
Anyways, yes try to send me some pictures everyone, and also parents, ou est les photos familial?!?! Une chose plus. If I need money here, how am I going to get it? I have about 30,000 francs or 60 bucks. For two years? I don’t know, talk to Bryan and see what he knows. My companion says it would be smart to send my debit card to Cameroon and wait until someone comes from there or when I go there. Just something to think about.
Love you all and hope you are happy! I sure am!
Have a good week!
1 comment:
Dear Susie, sorry for not writing to you before, i left AREVA at the begining of septmeber, this is why your e-mails keeps being rejected. You can still find me at leo.monte@hotmail.com , this is my personnel e-mail. AREVA in Brazil has lost their way to profit, and believe me, they are totally confused and dont know what to do, well, i do, and i dont want to be part of that anymore, so now i am doing financial conculsting services (by myself, frre lancer), and i am enjoying a lot, i got more free time to do whatever i need.
thanks for keeping me in the loop of Logans journey, it looks like that he is having a very good time and is having the opportunity to know other culture (third world culture), which is very important for his growth. please keep me posted, and i am planning to go next year with Paula to the US, and it will be wounderful to see the whole family again. Hope you are well! have a great week!! Leo
Post a Comment