Sunday, January 5, 2014

"Can" We Do It?

To survive in the "old" days one needed a sharp quiver of arrows and a strong bow....or a great gun.  One also needed favorable weather and good oxen.

I, however, am in need of a good can opener.

You may scoff, but the number of can openers we have owned in the last fifteen years is not humorous. In fact, on some days it brings us near to tears.

I have owned large ones and small ones.  Name brand (think Pampered Chef - 2 of them!) and good old-fashioned generic ones.  I have had electric openers and hand openers.  I have even pondered getting an industrial size opener until I found out I would have to attach it permanently to my counter top.

N-o-t-h-i-n-g works!

After struggling to get cans open the entire vacation, I decided to try once again.  This time I ordered a "heavy duty" one from a prepper store.  Let's hope the preppers know their stuff.

After my oldest started opening the cans with a very large butcher knife, the vision of an ER trip with a bloody hand was enough to prompt me to action.  I do find it odd, however, that those knives cut through metal and yet I still struggle to cut my grapefruits in half. 
Go figure.  Maybe next I need to invest in a knife sharpener......




No comments: