Monday, March 2, 2015

PD

I am the weird one at my school - I love professional development.  Well, wait, let's back up - I love good professional development.

The week of the snow I was able to go to a two-day seminar with Kathy Ganske, a professor from Vanderbilt University who is an expert on how to develop word knowledge, phonological awareness, vocabulary, and spelling in children.  It was the fastest two days in PD I have ever spent.
Even though I have been doing intervention in math for the last three years, I still keep up on literacy and my principal let me take off two days to go.  I have studied the books from one of her collegues, Dr. Bear (and company) and have always preferred it, but actually they are talking about the exact same thing.
She was inspiring on many different levels.  She is very passionate and knowledgeable and worth every cent of what I am sure they paid her. 

Apparently, the director didn't check to make sure we looked good before we moved on.  Oh well....she was still a great teacher and a great lady in general.


No comments: