I am slowly, every so slowly, adjusting to the new chapter in my life. My husband and his new challenges sometimes keep me up at night. I have my children (and grandchildren) on my mind (all the time), and each seem to occupy a different part of my brain and heart. I have the 36+ children I work with at school that occupy other parts of my brain and heart. I try to give them individual attention, just like my own children. Then I have teenage girls at church that I worry over and want to give my individual attention to. And of course, the many (a million, it seems like at times) boys in scouts I worry about because I want them to make good choices and grow into fine young men. Then of course, other family concerns that can weigh heavy at times.
I feel like my brain never stops thinking and my heart never stops caring.
And doggone it, there still seems to be laundry, cooking, and cleaning to do. What's up with that?!?
Yet I still found time to find a wonderful.........yes, you guessed it......I found the most wonderful book!
Thanks to Christmas gifts with the name "Amazon" on them, I have found some wonderful picture books I just had to have.
I read this book to Ethan tonight and cried. My sweet boy put his arm around me and gave me a hug. Wilfrid, you see, lives next to an "old folks" home and he's "not very old either." But he is friends with the men and women there, each have a special place in his heart. He decides to help Ms Nancy find her lost memories and brings her little things that hold special meaning to him. Memories after all, are something warm, something that makes you cry or laugh, and memories are as precious as gold.Even with a crazy busy life, a little thing here or there will bring a flood of memories. Sometimes those memories make me laugh, and sometimes they make me cry, but they are all as precious as gold.
I was cleaning off the kitchen counter a couple of days ago and found one of these tucked in the corner.

Memories.
Claire and her "lips." That made me laugh.
I opened my scriptures and found a picture of my mom and Russ that I love - it is a beautiful picture of the both of them. I am not sure why it is there, but I am going to keep it there.
That made me cry.
I cleaned out my hall linen closet and found my card shuffler - I bought it because my grandmother thought I needed one for when we played cards together.
Memories as precious as gold.
I am grateful I at least still have the mental capacity to have all of these memories, lol. For now.
2 comments:
At the store yesterday by the checkout, Claire grabbed some Carmex and when I told her to put it back she started crying and saying, "I want Grandma's lips" lol. She tells me she wants to go on an airplane to Grandmas house and see Uncle Ethan.
Ah, I wish she was here to invade my lip drawer. I miss her.
Post a Comment