Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Special day




My best friend and eternal companion is having a birthday! I won't tell you how old he is, with his premature gray everyone has considered him "older" for quite some time.(He was so skinny his mom had to hand-sew his pants)

We have been married for a very long time - I was just 19 and he was 22. But when you find the right guy - why wait? We have been through hard times, good times, sad times, and challenging times, but we went through them together. We have struggled to make ends meet and known what it is to do without. When you depend on the Lord and work together, any challenge can be overcome. (This was the first place we lived)

He was born in Arizona to goodly parents and he is honoring their legacy. He is a wonderful husband and father. He spoils me rotten and treats me like the queen of the world. He works hard and is good at what he does. He has also supported me in all of my crazy hobbies and pursuits and as a stay-at-home mom. You probably wouldn't find a guy that does as much housework as this guy does. When we were dating he said he goal in life was to be the best father and husband he could be. Who wouldn't of married him??(Phil with Bryan)

One thing I loved about him when we met was the way he honored the elderly. He always has a quick hug and smile for them - for a 22 year old, that was impressive. He is great with people and makes you feel like what you say and who you are is important.(This was taken when we lived in Ohio)

He loves children - I feel so lucky that he loves to be with our kids, spend time with them, do things with them, take them places and be an example to them. When he is home, he devotes all of his time and attention to his family. I love it that each of boys have had the opportunity to fulfill their priesthood responsibilities with their dad - that is very special. The boys love going out with him to fellowship and care for the people in our ward. He is a wise and perceptive parent - I trust his instinct and judgment.(Phil likes hunting and shooting with the boys)

You know you are loved when your husband would think Walmart is a great place to go as long as you go together!

We are in a new chapter of our lives - our children are growing up and moving away. His job changes have slowed down and we are grandparents! Each year we are together, I feel that much more lucky to have him.


Families are forever - how grateful I am to have a companion that cherishes us and loves us so much - we are so blessed!!

Happy Birthday, Phil - I love you!!

Susie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susie, that was beautiful. Your words, his pictures and your family - yes, you are blessed. I can sure see him in the boys. Tell him I said Happy Birthday & and have a good, good day. Merry Christmas to all of you. Your Mom & Russ got to my hse yesterday and how nice it is to spend time with them.

Journee said...

How sweet! We know he's a great man...and children love him too. Happy birthday Phil!!!

mary jane said...

What a nice tribute, Susie! We loved seeing all of the old photos of Phil with the dark hair. ;-) Happy Birthday Phil!

Susie said...

The wonderful thing about Phil, Mary Jane, is that he is just like all of his brothers. I don't think I have seen a family where all of the boys made such great husbands...was it Barbara's training or all of that wonderful attention from Grandma Shumway :-) ??