Teshie is a city in Ghana in the Greater Accra Region. Fort Augustaborg, built by the Danes in 1787, is located in Teshie and was occupied by the British from 1850 to 1957. The national Officer Cadet Training School and Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC) are also located here.
The Teshie people are well known for their no nonsense attitude and are hospitable to all races and backgrounds. The language of Teshie is Ga. The city is rich in diversity as a result of the country's current democracy and development program. Every August the city celebrates the Homowo festival.
A snippet of his letter:
"Hey there everyone. I’m here in Teshie about 5 minutes from the beach in my new area. A nice sea breeze is coming in through the cafe here in this story building. We just got back from the MTC this p day. We played some futball and basketball and I’m pretty dogged and tired. My new area (Teshie) is pretty cool. My first couple of days here was pretty low key. The ward is nice too. It’s full of returned missionaries and MTC teachers. There wasn’t one quarrel in priesthood meeting last Sunday. I got here Wednesday morning to meet my new companion. His name is Elder Havili. He’s from Tonga but he's lived most of his life in the states, Utah and Washington. He moved back to Tonga 9 months before his mission with the hopes of serving a mission in the Polynesian areas, but he got sent to Ghana.
Teshie and places on the beach are lands where the people from the Ga tribe settled. So they speak a lot of Ga here, which isn’t cool to me, cause I just spent the last 4 months brushing up on my Twi. Most everyone can hear it, but there native tongue is Ga, which is a lot harder to learn than Twi is. Oh well, I don’t think I’ll give Ga a try. Most people don’t understand me when I try to converse in it. The people here love their languages, even though all of them are dying. Of all the people that can speak them, less than 2 percent can read or write it."
No comments:
Post a Comment