Thursday, January 8, 2009

And The Poor Mothering Award goes to........!


Ethan decided he had to take a lunch to school today. He hasn't taken a lunch since about the first week of Kindergarten. "Why", you ask? Well, because his diet consists mostly of cheerios and potatoes. He has never eaten a sandwich. In fact, all of the typical lunch food you would find in most childrens' lunches he wouldn't touch.

But, he is persistent, so I rummaged through the top shelf in the laundry, took down his old "Incredibles" lunchbox, dusted off the inch layer of dust and put in half a sandwich, a few tortilla chips, and a juice box. I promptly sent an email off to the teacher asking her to let him buy a lunch because he would probably want one after seeing what was in his.

At the end of the school day I asked his aide what he had for lunch - she said he wouldn't touch the sandwich but ate the chips, drank his juice, and had about half of the pudding.

"Pudding", I asked. "He didn't take a pudding."

"There was a pudding in the bottom zipper section" she replied.

Yep, that's right. Ethan ate half of a pudding that was over 2 years old.

And I think he is a picky eater.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's scary- and funny!
I sent out of date yogurt w/ Daniel to preschool. Of course I didn't realize that I'd grabbed a container that had been stuck in the back of the fridge for a loooooong time...I felt horrible, but he survived.

Naters said...

Out of date pudding? Is that the WORST mothering moment you can come up with????

Sherri said...

Hey, that "Nathan" comment was really me. I didn't realize he had left his gmail signed in so I guess it thought he was writing. Technology is waaaayyyyy to complicated for me.

Susie said...

Well, Sherri (a.k.a. Nathan) I am sure if you asked my children - they could come up with several more "poor mothering" examples! :-)