Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Versatility

This meal is a gem, I got it from my sister. You can make it into a freezer meal (i.e. make several at one time and freeze - then you have them to take to a sick neighbor, you can cook them on a hectic night - like Church night - or what have you.)

It is also a throw together meal on those crazy busy nights when you are in a hurry, need to feed a crowd, and you don't want a mess.

Plus, I call it a pantry food - not strictly worse case scenario food, but a meal that you probably have the ingredients to in your pantry.

I freeze my cheese in two cup baggies and when stuffing goes on sale I stock up.

Swiss Chicken Casserole

Chicken (I use two pints of my canned chicken)
2 cups stuffing (this is about half a box)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 c milk
1/2 c melted butter
Cheese (the recipe calls for 6 swiss slices, but I usually don't have swiss. I mostly substitute mozarella, which I keep in my freezer)

Layer chicken in bottom of casserole dish (or if you want, a crockpot)
put chicken on top
Mix soup and milk, pour on top
sprinkle stuffing over top
pour butter over stuffing
Bake at 375 until brown and bubbly.

My kids gobble it up!

2 comments:

mary jane said...

Sounds yummy! Plus such a practical recipe to have on hand, too. Question...it says layer chicken in the bottom of the casserole, then put chicken on top?

Susie said...

No, all of the chicken is on the bottom layer.