Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dutch Oven Cookin'

It was chow time at the church social tonight.

Those of us who showed up early were given a real treat.

We learned how to make about 15 gourmet dishes in the dutch oven. Among the dishes were brisket (yum), roast, stuffed pork, stuffed game hens, rolled meatloaf, stroganoff, pesto chicken, sweet & sour, curried rice, leg of lamb, smore-roll ups, quiches, cakes and biscuits. I am a total convert!

Seeing it done seems so much easier than reading all of those bothersome directions in the dutch oven cookbook.

Phil had to bring along his "watch dog" (more on that in another post).Jordan, Mom and Dad were busy learning how to cook.

Logan had "Ethan Duty"

Ethan had Baby Duty - aren't they cute?


They were watching the bubbles together. Bennett doesn't look too sure.
Needless to say we are stuffed!

6 comments:

Journee said...

That looked like so much fun!!! You should make a meal in Dutch oven and blog so we can see how it's done too!

Jessica said...

That's such a great idea for churches to do! Looks like a great time was had by all!

mary jane said...

Ethan looks like he is having a blast! Great ideas for the dutch ovens too. I thought that dutch oven cooking took hours and hours...not so? Or was it a loooonng party?

Allison said...

Hi - My name is Allison, you don't know me, Mary Jane sent me your blog link because I'd like to get started in dutch oven cooking in my backyard... I'm wondering if you have any recipes from this event and maybe some tips/tricks that you learned that you'd like to share? I also saw that you are growing canteloupe, any tips/tricks on growing those? My email is Allison@AllisonBritton.com great blog, thanks for sharing!

Susie said...

Hi Allison,
Actually anything you cook in an oven or crockpot can be cooked in the dutch oven. Somehow stuffed game hens seems so much more exciting than pinto beans, tho.....

I will send you the tips with the coals - that was the most useful, and any recipes I can remember.

Jessica said...

Susie, I want the tips, too! :-)
We're settling in good here in R.B. If you ever have any free time let me know- I'd love to get together! Hope your classes are going well!