Saturday, June 13, 2009

Dutch Ovens & Hot Coals


General guidelines:

1. Use instant lite coals.

2. Coals will cook for about one hour. When they have burned down, they must be removed from under (or from the top of) the dutch oven, otherwise it acts as an insulator.

3. How many coals? Depends on the size of your dutch oven. Use two more below and two less on top. For example, if I am cooking a 14" oven, I would put 16 coals on the bottom and 12 coals on top. This is equivalent to 325 degrees. For every coal I add I up the degree by another 25.

4. Cabelos and other outdoor places have the setup for your oven, or you can put the coals on a bed of brick.

5. Only use the coals on top if you have a top with a lip, otherwise your dinner will be full of ash :-)

No comments: